Friday, February 25, 2011

Heart Check

This revelation is very fresh. Just this morning did I finally see how righteous my life is [hint: not righteous]. God pointed out the wrong in my life so that I can grow closer to Him, and I know He's ready to do the same for you.

God gives us a brief overview of the character of people in these last days. 2 Timothy 3:1-5 says, "You should know this, Timothy, that in the last days there will be very difficult times.  (2)  For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred.  (3)  They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good.  (4)  They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God.  (5)  They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!" (NLT)

This is the Word of God, which is always true. We are in the last days right now. Even if that weren't apparent from other passages in the Bible, we can easily see those characteristics in almost all Christians right now. Almost all Christians. We all know that these things are detrimental to our spiritual health. We don't often recognize the kind of representative we are being for God's people. We are acting like the very people that Paul warned us about almost 2000 years ago! You probably see the verses above and picture other people as you read each characteristic. That is foolishness! We have no right to instruct others and highlight their wrongs when our own lives are riddled with evil we are doing nothing about. I want you to be able to see your life for what it is. The view that Satan would rather you not see. Answer the following questions in your head.

Do I love myself and my money more than God? Am I proud, not taking God's commandments seriously? Am I disobedient or dishonoring to my parents? Do I fail to thank God and give Him credit for all that He has done in my life? Do I see anything as sacred? Do I always walk in love toward others as Jesus would? Am I living with unforgiveness in my heart? Do I gossip? Do I lack self-control? Do I tear people down with my words? Am I reckless? Do I think of myself higher than I ought? Do I love pleasure more than I love God? Would my actions suggest Jesus is alive? Do I treat Him like He exists or simply follow the rules? Do I have a religion or a relationship with Him?

These are heavy questions. They highlight all the areas we struggle with daily. They show us our true character and godliness. They take our flaws and shine a bright light on them. Now you have a choice. You can either ignore them or do something about them. If you choose to ignore them, you will regret it one day, but you might think it will be easier for you now. Change is never easy. However, the Holy Spirit will remind you frequently that you have read these words. Then you'll have to choose regularly to ignore the Word of God. That is the path that leads to death. Always. 

You could choose to change. A godly heart change doesn't come easy or quickly, but the reward is far worth it. You will be living a life of purpose. You will be blessed daily and eternally by the Lord. You will receive the promises of financial blessing, joy, peace, and grace, and so much more! (See the Bible for every promise of God to His people) We cannot even fathom the eternal blessing that we will receive after death because we obeyed His Word. God is good! He even makes the method by which we can change simple.

Romans 8:13-14 says "For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. (14) For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God."

Pray this: Lord, I thank you for all that you have done for me. I remember everything that you went through to save me, that I might be able to be with you and walk with you. You love me so much and that is why I love you! Forgive me for what I've done. Forgive me for making my own rules for my life. I'm done doing things my way. Today I choose your way. I want to please You, Lord. Lead me by Your Spirit and keep me on the path of righteousness. In Jesus' name, amen.

Haha! Praise the Lord! He so wants us to be closer to Him that He has given us His Spirit and His Word! Now that you've yielded to His Spirit, get in His Word today to receive more revelation of His great will for your life! Faith begins where the will of God is known!

No comments:

Post a Comment